The Santa Fe Council on International Relations (CIR) recognizes the importance of gaining work experience in international affairs. As one of New Mexico’s premier internationally-focused organizations, CIR strives to provide internship opportunities for high school and university students. Applications are welcome from both U.S. and international students and CIR does not discriminate on the basis of age, sexual orientation, disability, gender, ethnicity, or religion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are CIR interns paid? For the Summer 2021 Internship Program, both high school and college interns will be paid at $12.50 per hour! (note: CIR is still determining whether to offer paid internships for fall 2021 or spring 2022).
How many hours per week do interns work? It depends. In summer 2021, high school interns will be part time (20 hours per week). In summer 2021, CIR will select one (1) college intern that is expected to work 37.5 hours per week.
Do interns have to be currently enrolled in a high school or college program? No. Applications are welcome from individuals currently enrolled in a high school or college program, have recently graduated, or have been out of school for less than 2 years.
If I attend a school outside New Mexico, am I still eligible to apply for a CIR internship? Yes! However, for CIR’s High School and College Education Program, preference will be given to students attending a high school or college located in New Mexico.
Does CIR provide housing or assist in locating housing for summer interns? No. CIR is unable to provide housing for summer interns. Housing and transportation are the responsibility of each intern.
Are CIR internships competitive? Yes. CIR receives many more internship applications than internship positions available. Fall and spring internships are less competitive than summer internships.
Will CIR provide feedback, detailing why an application was rejected? No. CIR is not in the position to provide feedback for rejected applications. It is a competitive process, with many qualified and remarkable students applying for one or two available positions. That being said, please ensure applications are complete before submitting and carefully follow all instructions in the application.
Does CIR only offer summer internships? No, CIR accepts interns throughout the year.
- Summer internships typically begin in June and end in August.
- Fall internships typically begin in August and end in December (usually part-time to accommodate school schedules).
- Spring internships typically begin in January and end in May (usually part-time to accommodate school schedules).
The Summer 2021 High School Internship deadline is May 15 (11:59 pm).
- You must be a high school freshman, sophomore, junior, senior OR college freshman as of August 2021 to apply.
- Current High School Fellows will receive preference for the two internship positions.
The Summer 2021 College Internship deadline is May 15 (11:59 pm). Applications received after the deadline will not be considered for summer 2021 internships.
- You must be a sophomore, junior, senior, graduate student, or recently graduated student (less than two years) as of August 2021 to apply for the college internship.
- If you will be a college freshman in August 2021, you should apply for the high school internship.
If you have any questions regarding the internship application, please send an email inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE CIR OFFICE WITH INTERNSHIP INQUIRIES AND/OR APPLICATION QUESTIONS.