To be of service and relevance to the Santa Fe community, CIR regularly hosts panel discussions, presentations, dialogues, and luncheons on pressing issues. We also regularly have dinner-and-a-movie events, photo presentations, and film screenings to help us better understand the beauty and mystery of the world – and of far-off cultures.
Our speaker program is one of our flagship programs. We bring to the CIR stage former ambassadors, journalists, academics, students, photographers, and activists – all of whom help advance our understandings of how to be a responsible global citizen.
Highlights from 2018 have included:
- Energy’s Global Future. This included three different talks on the future of energy – the first with Dr. Sig Hecker; the second with Governor Bill Richardson, Senator Jeff Bingaman, and PNM’s CEO Pat Vincent-Collawn; and the third featured Secretary Ken Salazar and Doug Howe in a conversation moderated by Denise Fort.
- The Future of the Koreas.
- Journalism and Islam with Prof. Janet Steele
- Sovereignty Wars with Stewart Patrick
- Emile Nakhleh with a Middle East Update
Highlights from 2017 included:
- Braden Allenby on the Future of War
- Prof. Martha Crenshaw on Terrorism and ISIS
- Soner Cagaptay on The New Sultan: President Erdogan
- Amb. Vicki Huddleston offering a Special Briefing on Cuba [sonic attacks]
- Dr. Manuel Montoya on the Enchantment Economy
- Liz Fanning on AFRICORPS
- Bill Stewart [RIP Bill!] on the Changing World Order
- Molly Williamson on the Changing Global Energy Economy
- Howard French
- Sig Hecker/Valerie Plame on Nuclear North Korea and Lessons for the Iran Deal
- Salam al-Marayati on Islam in the Time of Trump