To be of service and relevance to the Santa Fe community, CIR regularly hosts panel discussions, presentations, dialogues, and luncheons on pressing issues. We also host dinners, photo presentations, and film screenings to help us better understand the world and its cultures.
With this flagship program, we bring to the CIR stage former ambassadors, journalists, academics, students, photographers, and activists—all of whom help advance our understanding of how to be a responsible global citizen.
Now offered both as livestreams and in-person gatherings, our community education programs offer fresh insights and an opportunity for all participants to have their questions heard and answered.
Due to continuing concern over COVID-19 and the Delta variant, CIR has implemented a new COVID policy which can be found in its entirety here.
Program highlights from thus far in 2021:
- Energy’s Global Future. This included three different talks on the future of energy – the first with Dr. Sig Hecker; the second with Governor Bill Richardson, Senator Jeff Bingaman, and PNM’s CEO Pat Vincent-Collawn; and the third featured Secretary Ken Salazar and Doug Howe in a conversation moderated by Denise Fort.
- The Future of the Koreas.
- Journalism and Islam with Prof. Janet Steele
- Sovereignty Wars with Stewart Patrick
- Emile Nakhleh with a Middle East Update
Highlights from 2020 included:
- Braden Allenby on the Future of War
- Prof. Martha Crenshaw on Terrorism and ISIS
- Soner Cagaptay on The New Sultan: President Erdogan
- Amb. Vicki Huddleston offering a Special Briefing on Cuba [sonic attacks]
- Dr. Manuel Montoya on the Enchantment Economy
- Liz Fanning on AFRICORPS
- Bill Stewart on the Changing World Order
- Molly Williamson on the Changing Global Energy Economy
- Howard French
- Sig Hecker/Valerie Plame on Nuclear North Korea and Lessons for the Iran Deal
- Salam al-Marayati on Islam in the Time of Trump