In September 2016, CIR changed its mission statement to: “We connect New Mexico and the world by engaging and educating people to be responsible global citizens.” Education is at the very heart of what we do, and we have many different ways in which we seek to educate:
- on April 20th, we head to Santa Fe Prep for the Middle East Symposium, which will feature two major simulations and role play as students become the policy advisory teams for major global leaders.
- on March 8th, we held the excellent Academic World Quest. The winning team from Las Cruces is about to embark on an all-expense-paid trip to Washington DC for the national competition April 28-9, 2017. All the photos can be found here; last year’s contest can be found here.
- on December 10th, we celebrated Human Rights Day, commemorating the day on which, in 1948, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- our new Global Citizen Passport Program that discusses the major components and values of being a responsible global citizen. It will formally launch in June, 2017.
- the many ways in which we create cultural exchange between our international visitors and our local community.
- the monthly Great Decisions series, our Dinner and a Movie series, and our regular Book Clubs.
We are in the midst of developing new educational programs and will launch those shortly. We have also tracked our impact on students over the years.