Young Global Citizens will meet once per month in the CIR conference room to learn about a selected topic from Great Decisions, a program designed by the Foreign Policy Association. Students who attend these meetings will interact and discuss topics with other high school students from Santa Fe and northern New Mexico, including Los Alamos and Montezuma.
- Meetings will last two hours and are held on Tuesdays, from 5:00-7:00 PM. CIR will provide some snacks and students can discuss other education activities happening in Santa Fe.
- Participants are not required to do any homework before the meeting. The meetings are designed to be drop-ins, with no previous preparation or attendance required. During the first 20 minutes, participants will eat snacks and socialize with one another and the speaker. Afterwards, they will watch a Great Decisions video (20-30 minutes) and a selected CIR speaker will facilitate a discussion (30-45 minutes). The meetings are non-partisan and participants are encouraged to express their opinions. The rest of the meeting is designed for students to continue the discussion, meet with one another, or learn about upcoming CIR activities.
- Students do not have to attend every meeting. If students are only interested in attending the session on nonproliferation and cybersecurity, they are not required to attend the other sessions.
- Capacity will be capped at 30 students. Students are required to register for the sessions they are interested in attending on this web page. If you register to attend but cannot make it to the meeting, please send an email to email@example.com to let CIR know.
Tentative schedule (topics may be subject to change):
- [September 24, 2019] “Migration and refugees”
- [October 29, 2019] “U.S. – Mexico: A Partnership Tested”
- [November 19, 2019] “The Politics of Nuclear Escalation”
- [January 14, 2020] “Geopolitics of the Middle East”
- [February 18, 2020] “Careers in International Affairs/ How to get into the Foreign Service”
- [March 31, 2020] “Cybersecurity”
- [April 21, 2020] “Populism in Europe”
Benefits for Young Global Citizens:
- Earn CIR merchandise (computer/water bottle sticker, etc.)
- Eligible for CIR Letter of Recommendations (ONLY available for active Young Global Citizens who regularly attend monthly meetings and other CIR events)
- Student members (especially those who are active) have internship and fellowship preference;
- Meet United World College students!
- No homework or attendance requirements;
- Public speaking opportunities available at CIR events;
- Use “Young Global Citizen” status on resumes and college applications.
The next Young Global Citizens meeting will be Tuesday, February 18, 2020. The topic will be “Careers in International Affairs/How to become a Foreign Service Officer” with Todd Greentree, a retired foreign service officer with the U.S. Department of State.
The session will begin at 5:00 and end at 7:00 PM. The meeting will be at the Santa Fe Higher Education Center (HEC), located at 1950 Siringo Road, across the street from Santa Fe High School. We will be meeting in Room 157. There is ample parking available.